Wednesday, January 29, 2014

P31W Wednesday #4

Homemaker, a word that Sara, the author, hated to hear. It was something she did not want to become when she got married. She thought it meant you have to give up all of your goals and dreams and you stay at home cooking and cleaning. She soon realized that you do sacrifice some things in a marriage and you do, do homemaker things. She consumed herself with work, school and a baby and she was then scared that she actually missed out on being a homemaker.


Questions for this week:

What is your definition of a homemaker?
A person who takes care of their home and family.

Growing up, what was your perception of a homemaker?
When I was younger I would associate a homemaker with what I saw on TV. A cheerful lady in a dress with a cute apron, her hair fixed perfect. She cooked breakfast, lunch, and dinner from scratch. She did laundry and cleaned the house, all while taking care of the children.

What about now?
Now, I would say, a person who cooks, cleans, takes care of children (if any). I think now it could be a man or woman depending on who earns the paycheck and who stays home. I don't necessarily  think the homemaker has to stay home all day, you can still do the same tasks once you get off of work.

Do you consider yourself a homemaker? Why or why not?
I would say yes, not fully. I do have a fulltime job, but when I get home I do cook, clean and do laundry. My husband also helps, so you could say we both are. I usually take the inside cleaning, while my husband takes on the outside, like yard work, and washing the cars. We make a good team!

I think I could be a stay-at-home homemaker if I could. It sounds good in my head anyways. I couldn't wear a dress all the time but I do have a cute apron. I like to craft and do DIY projects {which I hope to post soon} so I think I could keep myself busy with little projects. Martha 31 did it all, so I'm sure I could as well with a little practice.

What are your thoughts on the definition of a homemaker? Are you a homemaker?

No comments:

Post a Comment